What does PPE mean:
PPE means - Personal Protective Equipment. PPE includes protective clothing, helmets, goggles, or other garments or equipment designed to protect the wearer's body from injury or infection.
The different types of PPE include:
- Head protection - Hard hats protect the head from impact, but some can also protect against electrical shocks and burns
- Respiratory protection - Respiratory protection can range from N95 masks, which keep dust and other particles out of the lungs, to air-purifying respirators designed to protect against chemical fumes or vapors.
- Eye protection - The eye protection required depends on the job dangers and could include goggles or specialized face shields.
- Hearing protection - There are three main types of hearing protection: foam ear plugs, molded earplugs, or earmuffs.
- Hand and arm protection - Gloves can protect against a wide range of applications, such as; abrasives, chemicals, bacteria, cold temperatures and sharp objects.
- Fall protection - fall protection is required for workers working at heights, these include full body harnesses, fall arrest lanyard and self-retracting safety lines.
- Body protection - Body protection can range from jackets for cold environments to full-body protective suits. High-visibility apparel helps protect workers in high traffic areas from being struck by vehicles.
Why is PPE important?
PPE is an essential part of keeping workers safe on the job. Correct PPE must be chosen based on the hazards involved and the level of protection needed. PPE is essentially anything you can wear that will protect you against hazardous conditions. PPE is important because it prepares you for any health and safety risks and gives you extra protection in the event of an accident or against the elements.
When should PPE be worn?
PPE should be used when there is a risk for personal injury or exposure to hazards. PPE is worn in healthcare settings to create a barrier between healthcare workers and an infectious agent from the patient. PPE is worn on construction jobsites to prevent or minimize bodily injuries.