Dumond Peel Away® Neutralizer lowers the pH level on surfaces that are highly alkaline following treatment with Peel Away 1 or ST-1. A neutralizer is needed to reduce pH levels to acceptable pH painting levels on wood, brick, stone, plaster, metal and more. Formulated without flammable solvents, and is suitable for interior and exterior applications. Allow the substrate to dry thoroughly before repainting or until the moisture content, measured by a moisture meter, is below 15%. As a concentrated formula, you simply dilute it with water and spray the stripped surface. 200 sq. ft. per gallon coverage.
Features & Benefits:
- Will lower the pH level on substrates that are highly alkaline
- Ideal for removing mill glaze prior to painting and staining
- Effective on wood, brick, stone, plaster, metal and more
- Suitable for interior and exterior applications
- Brightens the wood after stripping with Peel Away® 1 and Smart Strip™ 1 HD
May damage or discolor some substrates. Always test in a small inconspicuous area before applying to your entire substrate.
Can be used on most substrates, however is not recommended for the following: Drywall, EIFS, plywood and laminates, Plexiglass, some fiberglass and plastics.
Peel Away® Neutralizer is VOC compliant with all national, state and local regulations.
How to use:
- Before starting the neutralization process, make sure the stripped surface is rinsed thoroughly with water and scrub clean to remove all residue. Although the surface may appear clean, there is a film of soapy alkalinity.
- Allow the surface to dry completely before applying the Peel Away® Neutralizer Apply the Peel Away® Neutralizer solution with a plastic garden sprayer or trigger bottle, working from the bottom up. Be sure to soak completely.
- Scrub surface with a nylon brush while it is still wet.
- Rinse the surface after 30 minutes with clear water. For hard to neutralize surfaces, the Peel Away® Neutralizer may be left on the surface until dry.
- Check the pH level of the surface with the litmus paper strips. Check several areas. REPEATING THE PROCESS MAY BE NECESSARY until pH levels are reduced to a reading of below an 8 on the enclosed litmus paper/test strips.
Checking the pH level after neutralizing:
- Allow stripped and rinsed surface to dry for a minimum of 48 hours before checking pH.
- Hold one litmus strip on the surface and wet with a small amount of water (misting sprayer works best)
- Compare the color chart. Strip should indicate a reading between pH5-pH8.
- It is important to lower the level to a range of below a pH8 especially if painting is to follow and allow for the surface to dry. REPEAT NEUTRALIZING PROCESS AND TESTING IF NEEDED. In most cases. The pH will be reduced adequately.
Health & Safety Requirements:
Not for internal consumption. While Peel Away® Neutralizer is formulated to be safe for the user, surface and environment, proper safety procedures should be followed at all times when handling this product. Read the full label and MSDS for precautionary instructions before use.