When you think of mold, you probably envision dark and moist conditions, like those found in an old cellar. The reality is, however, that mold is a fungi and can be found both indoors and outdoors. It thrives in damp environments, often as a result of flooding, humidity and poor ventilation. And can grow on just about any surface, including paper, cardboard, ceiling tiles, wood products, paints, wallpaper, insulation, drywall, carpet, cloth, and upholstery.
When mold is growing on a surface, spores can be released into the air where they can be easily inhaled. Elevated concentrations of mold spores may cause health problems, including:
- Allergic Reactions (Eye Irritation, Sneezing, Itching, Skin Redness or Rash)
- Asthma Attacks
- Lung Inflammation
- Breathing Disorders
- Chronic Sinusitis and/or Bronchitis